AWS Direct Connect
Improved application performance can be achieved by connecting directly to AWS rather than through a public internet server. Data travelling between your network and AWS can be protected using a variety of encryption mechanisms. AWS’s low data transfer rates can help you save money on your network setup and maintenance costs.
How it works
This service links you to your AWS resources in the shortest time possible. In transit, all of your network traffic stays on the AWS global network and is never shared with anyone else. It is less likely that bottlenecks will occur or latency would surge unexpectedly as a result. Choose between an AWS Direct Connect Delivery Partner-hosted or AWS-provided connection when creating a new connection, then deploy it at any of the more than 100 AWS Direct Connect locations worldwide. Using AWS Direct Connect SiteLink, you may establish private network connections between your worldwide network’s offices and data centres by transporting data between AWS Direct Connect sites.
AWS Direct Connect can be accessed from a number of different places across the world. Cross-connects from other data centres on the same campus, run by the same provider, can be used to connect to AWS Direct Connect in some campus situations. A standard cross-connect can be used to access AWS Direct Connect at a slew of AWS Direct Connect locations and campus data centres. In order to achieve high availability and uptime, AWS recommends using several AWS regions. The Associated AWS Region column in the table indicates the default AWS region for your connection. There is no geographical restriction on connecting to any other AWS Region (excluding China) using the Direct Connect Gateway or public Virtual Interfaces provided by AWS (except China). Traffic is delivered directly between the AWS Direct Connect location selected and the destination AWS Region, bypassing the Associated AWS Region when using Direct Connect Gateways or public Virtual Interfaces. Direct connectivity is the term for this type of connection.
Your on-premises infrastructure will save you money and time if you choose the AWS Direct Connect location that is nearest to you. Ensure that your workloads are located in the AWS region closest to your on-premises infrastructure in order to obtain the lowest latency and the greatest performance.
An AWS Partner Network member can help you set up AWS Direct Connect if you don’t have access to the essential equipment at an AWS Direct Connect location. To acquire access to the AWS Direct Connect service, you may also seek the assistance of APN Technology and Consulting Partners. These APN Partner companies can assist you in setting up network connections between an AWS Direct Connect site and your data centre, office, or colocation environment.
AWS Direct Connect offers speeds ranging from 50 Mbps to 100 Gbps, so you can pick the one that’s right for you. You can improve the security of communications between your data centres, branch offices, or colocation sites by using a range of encryption technologies. IEEE 802.1AE point-to-point encryption (MACsec) is offered in some locations to protect your 10 Gbps and 100 Gbps connections. Secure connections between AWS instances using IPsec can also be made through the usage of AWS Site-to-Site VPN (IP security). An end-to-end network link can be established between the many data centres and colocation facilities that make up your global network by using AWS Direct Connect. Using the AWS Management Console, the WS Command Line Interface (CLI), or AWS APIs, you can enable or disable SiteLink capabilities after you’ve created connections with at least two different AWS Direct Connect data centres. A worldwide, dependable, and private network can be accessed in a couple of minutes. One, 10 or 100 Gbps Ethernet ports are used to connect to AWS via Dedicated Connections. There are AWS Direct Connect Partners that enable Hosted access using existing network connections between themselves and Amazon Web Services (AWS). There are a variety of connection types and speeds available, ranging from 50 Mbps to 10 Gbps.
Cloud service AWS Direct Connect links your network to AWS directly, allowing you to experience uninterrupted, high performance throughout your entire network. As long as you are using AWS Direct Connect, there is no minimum charge. You can stop using the service at any time, and it’s completely free of charge. Services provided by your AWS Direct Connect Delivery Partners or another local service provider may be subject to additional agreements.
Components of the pricing structure
Prices for Amazon Web Services (AWS) connectivity are determined by capacity, port hours, and the amount of data transferred out, in that order, in any AWS Region (such as an Amazon Virtual Private Cloud or an AWS Transit Gateway) (DTO).
Capacity: The capacity of a network link refers to the maximum data transfer rate possible over that connection. In terms of AWS Direct Connect connection capacity, you can choose between Mbps and GBPS (gigabits per second) (Gbps). In computing, a gigabit per second (Gbps) is equivalent to 1,000 megabits per second (Mbps) (1,000 Mbps).
Port Hours: An AWS Direct Connect Delivery Partner’s or an AWS Direct Connect Networking Equipment’s “port hours” are measured when a port is allocated for your use. Regardless of whether or not data is being sent through the port, you will be charged for the time that the port is accessible. If you want a dedicated or hosted connection, the cost each port hour is determined by the type of connection you have selected.
Connectivity between your network port and an AWS network port situated within the same physical facility is referred to as a dedicated connection in AWS Direct Connect locations You’ll be charged per hour if your service provider reserves a port exclusively for your use. You can request a dedicated connection in the AWS Management Console by going to the AWS Direct Connect section.
Hosted connections: An AWS Direct Connect Delivery Partner provides you with logical connections that are “hosted” on their behalf. Hosted connections allow you to connect to the AWS network through a port given by the hosting company. You can get a hosted connection by contacting an AWS Direct Connect Delivery Partner in person.
Data transfer out: : It is referred to as “data transfer out” when the total quantity of network traffic moved via AWS Direct Connect to locations outside the AWS infrastructure (DTO). Measures of DTO refer to the amount of data delivered rather than its speed and are charged per gigabyte in contrast to capacity measures (GB). The precise pricing you pay for DTO is determined by the AWS Region and AWS Direct Connect location you use
The next steps are only necessary when you have determined that your connectivity scenario will either be “Present at an AWS Direct Connect site” or “Connect from your premises.”
- Before moving on, ensure that you have selected an AWS Direct Connect location, the desired number of connections, and the desired port size. It is feasible to use a large number of ports all at once in order to improve bandwidth or to offer redundancy.
- Start by logging into the AWS Management Console so that you can create your connection request (s).
- You will be able to request a cross connect to AWS Direct Connect using the AWS Management Console as soon as your request has been confirmed, at which point you will also be able to receive your Letter of Authorization – Connecting Facility Assignment (LOA-CFA) from the AWS Management Console.
- You have the option of collaborating with a network carrier of your choice if you are connecting from your location, or you can choose to collaborate with an APN Partner that supports Direct Connect.
- You should give the LOA-CFA to either an APN Partner or your service provider, and they will set up the connection for you based on the information you have given them.
- After the connection has been made, you can use the AWS Management Console to configure one or more virtual interfaces in order to set up network communication between the two instances. This will allow the instances to share resources.
Things to Remember:
- Cross-connections are not handled by Amazon Web Services (AWS). As a condition of establishing a dedicated physical connection to an AWS Direct Connect site, you must submit the Letter of Authorization–Connecting Facility Assignment (LOA-CFA) to your AWS Direct Connect partner.
- Because of the AWS Service Delivery Program, AWS Direct Connect partners have passed further scrutiny and are ready to assist you in acquiring access to the service.
- Whether you hired a non-partner network provider or contracted directly with the facilities provider to seek the cross connect depends on whether you required them to contract with the facilities provider on your behalf.
- The facilities provider must be contacted in order to execute the cross connect if you already have equipment located at the AWS Direct Connect site. AWS equipment is held in a cage that is only accessible to AWS customers at an AWS Direct Connect site. Cross connections are used to connect several components of a facility to one another. The AWS cage can only contain AWS equipment as a security precaution.
- Manage the AWS GovCloud (US) ports with the AWS GovCloud (US) administration console (US).