Behind the system, there is the Back-End programming and the end user does not have access to this code. It runs on the server where the application is hosted and when the user accesses the system. When the user requests for “information”, the language used by the mobile app developers interprets the message and sends it to the browser.
In this segment, rigor and concern with data is necessary, as all codes make up the system, order performance and for this process to be kept safe, as it is a sensitive and more valuable action.
Among the main programming languages are: Java, C#, PHP, Python, Ruby. All of these are widely used for Back-End development of web systems and applications.
Types of mobile apps
From a coding perspective, mobile application development company‘s developers can choose to create one of three types of mobile apps:
- Native mobile apps are mobile apps written in a language that is natively supported by the device operating system (OS) vendor. The platform’s fundamental APIs are 100% available to application code, and the operating system provides the UI component library. The structuring process converts this code into an executable application with native operating system bytecode;
- Cross-platform apps development are those that are written in one language and can run on all platforms. With cross-platform mobile apps, the language used to write your app may not be the native language of the underlying operating system of the device. This indicates that the code can be in a bridge pattern , contained or compiled to bytecode, which can be run directly on the operating system with the help of some supporting libraries;
- Mobile web apps are a lightweight paradigm where a URL opens in your device’s browser, but look and feel similar to a standard mobile app. Mobile websites are not presented as an app installed on the device, but they are an important paradigm to consider when developing for a mobile device. Mobile app developers can use two website programming paradigms to create mobile web apps :
- Responsive programming is a style of website programming in which the layout of the website organizes itself to suit the format of the device. So instead of having to navigate horizontally, the content “snaps” into place to fit the device’s breadth. These sites can also be used on a desktop. Learn about the latest responsive design ideas at IBM Developer.
- Progressive programming creates progressive web apps that are normal websites; they have the look and feel of a traditional mobile app when navigating from a browser on a mobile device, providing an app-like experience. The web apps progressive have the ability to add a link to the Home screen (so you get an application icon) and can also be performed offline when you are not connected to the Internet, through the local storage of content on the device.
What is an API?
API stands for application programming interface, and is a set of functions that allow software to interact with other software components without having to write the entire code for some function. It’s a kind of software interface that provides a service to other software, making things easier for developers.
Using APIs brings several benefits, some of which are:
- When developing an application, you can integrate different backend features and functionality with the backend APIs.
- APIs can help you with the easy integration of things.
- The overall features and services of your app get better when you use APIs.
If you’re looking to develop a feature-rich mobile app for your work or business, you can look for some amazing back-end API options.
We’ve done all the hard work and research for you and below are the top 5 backend APIs you can use for your mobile app.
One of the most popular names in backend services, cloud services, and mobile application development services is Back4App. It is an open source backend service provider, which causes many developers to select it as their main development platform.
What makes it an even better choice for most people is that it comes with many development features like feature scalability, easy development, fast development speed, and fast application deployment.
Back4App is supported by open source technologies, which means high quality services for everyone, including things like automatic scalability. However, with the help of the REST API and the GraphQL API, you can do it all with some of the following amazing features:
- Data storage
- file storage
Who doesn’t know about the quality of services you get on Google? Firebase is the backend API platform provided and managed by Google, so one thing for sure is the quality of the services, the security and the reliability of the services. It is based on REST APIs to add all features and functionality to your apps.
One of the reasons it’s at the second spot on our list is that it allows you to add Machine Learning to your app for various tasks. Although it is, in the age of machine learning, things get very productive as you implement machine learning in your applications.
Other than that, the app development process here is pretty awesome and easy as most of the work can be done using the APIs. Also, you get the following features to add to your app here:
- machine learning
The application development process of this era requires applications to be perfect in design according to modern design strategies.
In addition, the apps also need to be fully featured. While you can design the front-end of your application using various front-end design methods, the back-end needs something powerful.
In this case, the REST APIs and the Kinvey backend API are what you need. This way, you get many features for your apps, such as the following:
- business integrations
- Easy User Authentication
- Very cheap application development
As the world is increasingly shifting from web apps to mobile apps, these apps need to be full of features. The difference in mobile operating systems makes it difficult for users to develop their apps for both.
In this case, Heroku is the platform that provides your platform API that helps in almost automated development of your application where you can extend the features and combine different pieces of code effortlessly. Some of its features are:
- Continuous delivery
- Extensibility in your apps
These were the top 5 backend APIs you can use for developing your apps.
While application development can be a hectic process for non-technical users, using APIs can get the job done easily. Here, we were discussing backend APIs and the best backend APIs you can use.
Now that you have more information about a multitude of different backend APIs that are available on the market, you can make an educated decision about which program is right for you.